Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Only One...

Went in search of Lady Bug Potting Soil* in a new (to me) nursery in the neighborhood. No luck. Went to the feed store where I knew I would be able to get it. Looked through the picked over tomato and vegetable plants, turned and saw a flat full of these little flowers.

Lippia dulcis - (Phyla dulcis) - Aztec Sweet Herb. Leaves are edible. Pick fresh and put into a fruit salad for a different flavor. USDA Zones 9-11 - will not survive a frost, so keep it in a container. Native to southern Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, to northern South America. Introduced to the Spanish when they arrived in the Americas.

Lippia dulcis is related to Mexican oregano (Lippia graveolens) and Lemon Verbena (Aloysia citrodora). All in the Vervain or Verbenaceae family. Who knew?!? (Well, Lemon Verbena Lady probably did.)

So it is possible for me to go to 2 plant nurseries and only come home with one plant.

Here it is in it's new home.

What weeds? I don't see any weeds...




*Lady Bug does not sponsor this blog in any fashion. If you live in Texas, try their products. Can't find them? Ask your nursery or feed store to carry their products. They are fabulous.

4 comments:

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

No, I didn't know that. See I learned something new today! Thanks as always, TG

Carol said...

I see no weeds...I see happy plants in a loved garden space :)

lifeshighway said...

so explain to the uninformed what is the magic of Lady Bug Potting soil?

HolleyGarden said...

Wait - two nurseries - one plant?!? You must be made of steel! Good info!