Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back Yard

Went to New Braunfels to check on the house. I was so happy to see things still alive and thrilled to see blooms. I never imagined I would have anything to add to Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens.

Castor Bean (Ricinus communis) has grown at least 2-3 feet this last week.


Since it can grow to 6-15 feet in one season it makes a great screen. (I need to plant some more to the left...) It is an annual for us in Zone 8 so save the seeds. Since it is poisonous you will need to teach the little ones to not graze on this one.


It makes a great backdrop to the Red Fountain rose.

Chinese Buttonbush (Adina rubella) button bush is still blooming. I think this is the longest period I have ever seen it bloom. It must have been all the rain it received this spring. The butterflies are loving it.


Not a great shot of Belinda's Dream since my cold camera was fogging up this morning. I just wanted you to see all the blooms on this lovely.

Lens all cleaned up and a pretty little butterfly too.

Clematis terniflora (Sweet Autumn Clematis) grows in full sun to partial shade and begins its bloom in late summer to fall. This is one more plant I amazed at its recovery. This went from dappled shade to full sun and is loving it..

The smell is sweet perfume.
Mostly it reminds me fall and cooler temperatures will come again.

Roll your mouse over the photo above. I will lay off my parlor tricks for awhile now. Just wanted to show my stark contrast from the current photo to this last April (before the storm).

Just here long enough to mow what little grass is growing, give everybody a big drink of water and then back to Fort Worth. The backdoor neighbors were finishing up their fencing last night. One of their friends hopped over our chain link fence to take a tour of the house. Says he is starting over from a divorce - the house is just the right size for him. Hope he and his banker are on the same page.

See more blooming gardens at May Dreams Garden and GBBD. Thanks for stopping by.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the parlor trick. Could you please post where you got the widget? It works great for the earlier and later version of a shot.

JGH said...

Wow! That was such a cool before/after trick! You've been busy and it all looks beautiful.

I love that castor bean - it must grow so fast, there may even be time to get some nice leaves on one up here in NY.

Nice to "meet" you and your blog!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Your back yard looks amazing! Great job, TG! Nature is a glorious beast when you are an artist!

Noel Morata said...

aloha

that castor bean looks huge, i love its colors

you have some beautiful blooms today, thanks for sharing

lifeshighway said...

It so sad to see the devastation caused by the storm. Your garden was beautiful. Now you can start a new garden in your new place.

Unknown said...

Ah... I like your blog magic! And I love that castor bean--I never really thought about using it as a screen before. (But now I will!)

Commonweeder said...

I love your blog magic too. I am always forgetting Before pix. Partly out of shame and embarrassment. I love Belinda's Dream - and my puny Castor Bean looks hardly in the same family as yours, but summer isn't over yet. I'll be glad if it makes 6 feet.