Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Update - Frozen in Fort Worth

There is a bit of celebratory dancing in the loft this morning as I have discovered life after Frozen in Fort Worth.

I did not pull any plants out of the greenhouse until after the storm. Later, I did manage to bring inside my Brazilian orchid and a heirloom crinum knowing they would be the most difficult to replace. I did not have much hope knowing the amount of cold they had suffered.

A new shoot from the roots of the Brazilian orchid (Bahinia forficata)

some buds along the main trunk

In this pot of scavenged bulbs from the frozen carnage of the greenhouse are awakening daylillies and cannas. If only this big brown crinum bulb would show a little life, my little rustled treasure. I keep squeezing it like buying an avocado -- still firm, not too mushy. As any good gardener, I still have hope.

8 comments:

Carol said...

:) Smiling for you here in Missouri! So glad that at least some of your treasures have survived and still hoping for the others. ♥

lifeshighway said...

Great news! Your babies are trying to pull through.

Love the flower on a stick.

creekside rummager said...

Hope is really important. So glad for you. This is why we all love spring so much. By the way - I wish you could come to our yard sale too.

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe you can have weather to freeze the plants. Good to see they are on the rebound. Hope they all pull through.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Whew, TG! We lost a couple of our plants inside! A lot of over watering going on! Yikes!

Karen said...

Fantastic news, nothing lifts the spirits more than signs of life. All is not lost!

Cat said...

Hope your plants pull through...I know you're thankful for the signs of life. It's just a gamble every year with the tender perennials...I have some crinum bulbs I'm nursing along too.

BernieH said...

Phew! Success! It's good news to hear how most of your treasures have come through ... fingers and toes crossed for the Crinum!