Monday, February 8, 2010

Stumpery in Texas

Stumpery - (also called rootery or rootree) begins with tree roots placed upside down in the landscape. The roots being the most dense part of the tree, these specimens will take longer to rot. Originally created in Victorian England as a structure for growing their prized ferns, stumperies have now been replicated in many parts of the world.

Some nice photos of the stumpery in Alaska's Mendenhall Gardens and Glacier Gardens.

These structures may have been the lemonade to a flood situation or of clearing land.

3 comments:

lifeshighway said...

I must admit this is a completely new concept to me. I will look for this landscape technique in my area.

Unknown said...

I have only seen it on a gardening show - think they were touring the one in Pennsylvania. Those "stumps" were just placed in the ferns. The English used them as trees to hold their ferns. I like the looks of the ones in the Alaskan links.

YayaOrchid said...

I must look into that. I like it! Wonder if they'd help ferns in our south Texas heat?