Monday, August 8, 2011

The Garden Lives!

If you look closely you can see a couple rose bushes are actually blooming.

It seems my landlord has been by this last week watering. The gardens would not have made it with out him.

I tucked these guys just inside the back door of the building. They needed less water and a whole lot less heat.

Not much happening on this side of the property due to the heat. I decided since it goes into shade first I would stage this wall with all the potted plants while I was gone.

Many in their very own swimming pool.

I have a couple of folks that are interested in the gardens and did offer to water for me while we were gone. I do have a lot of plants awaiting their planting day (some day cooler, some day) and could not really impose their watering requirements upon my neighbors.

Swimming pools seems to go quickly here in FW. A month or so ago, I had seen some at the local box home improvement store and my sweetie stopped and picked them up for me (in his truck). I tucked them away waiting to use them during our trip.

I filled up the pools and told my neighbors to just fill them up again
if they noticed when the pools went dry.

Every thing looks great! A few of the potted plants just outside of the umbrellas' shade are a bit crispy but still alive. Last night one of my neighbors told me he was surprised how quickly they dried out and had only filled them once. (My other neighbor must have filled in the gap.) I am pleased as punch.

As soon as we arrived home, unloaded the truck, the watering of the property began. No restrictions for us here. Many areas had to wait for watering today as I really only have access while the neighbors are at work.

Now for my prize tufa I received from Karen and Carl. It was so beautiful in her 70 degree garden. I do not have the heart to put it outside yet. Maybe this heat will break one day soon.

Going through the vacation photos now. Hope I have something worth posting soon.

9 comments:

creekside rummager said...

So glad your plants survived. I can't believe the heat you guys have had to endure. Crazy! That tufa is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Your gardens look pretty good considering the oppressive heat. Nice design too!

Marguerite said...

I love the patio umbrellas and pools just for your plants. They sure are living the good life with you.

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Congratulations TG! Always good to see the babies have survived! All the preparation paid off!

Carol said...

That tufa is "AWESOME!" ! SO glad everything else survived the heat while you were gone. We finally have decent weather here and hope you get some soon too.

Karen said...

I'm so glad you arrived home safe and sound. It's hard to believe a week has passed since our visit. Your garden looks SO good for having all that heat, you really have done a fantastic job with the plants in such harsh conditions. Great idea with the pools for watering.

I'm glad you're liking the tufa so far...I hope it works for you in the garden. The potted aloe you gave me looks fantastic!

We've cooled down quite a bit since you were here, but I could use less humidity. Still getting the FHS (Frizzy Hair Syndrome). I hope your weather improves soon with a cool-down and some nice rain.

HolleyGarden said...

So glad you came home to a live garden - it surely would not have made it without someone watering it. What a great idea about the swimming pool! Love your new tufa, too!

Casa Mariposa said...

It's amazing anything is still alive in TX! You're lucky to have a landlord who helped you out. Everything looks great! :o)

Shyrlene said...

NICE gardens! You and your landlord have quite the symbiotic relationship!! You create these great landscapes on his/your property and he pinch hits while you are gone.

(BTW - that palm tree yard art ROCKS the house! You have some mad talent there Tufa Girl!)