Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Greenhouse Update = Blooming!

A couple nights we have gotten into the high 20's here at night and my rusty thermometer keeps reading high 40's and low 50's inside the greenhouse. I had a panic moment and told Santa's helper (my sweetie) that I was going to break down and purchase one of those remote thermometer things. Hopped on Amazon, made my selection and the package should be arriving by Friday. Just in time for the next real cold front with slight possibility of flurries.

Meanwhile, I brought the last of the plants from the house in New Braunfels (250 miles south of here - just in case you are just now joining this adventure). Opened up the greenhouse to toss them in somewhere.

Well, I guess everyone is doing well.... there are blooms!

Butterfly canna

Mexico Midget tomato flowers (inside the circle)

Key Lime with flowers (I also have fruit on the same plant)

Red trailing lantana (growing basically in the shade)

My plumeria have not dropped their leaves!

The wind during the day has been pretty gusty so I have not opened up the greenhouse. Daytime temps inside the greenhouse have been 90 to 100 degrees so I have created a hot humid terrarium. Just what my tropicals would like in December.

I guess that rusty old thermometer is still doing a good job. It will be nice to verify the temps between the old and the new, just to make certain.

5 comments:

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Beautiful blooms in honor of your house closing! Great!

lifeshighway said...

Gardeners are magical. Amateur plant growers are lucking to keep our indoor plants alive.

Do you have a heat source in the greenhouse?

creekside rummager said...

Yep - everyone is looking good. Greenhouses are good.

NotSoAngryRedHead said...

I snipped off most of the leaves on my plumeria and shoved it in the garage. They can overwinter just fine without light, little heat, and no water. They're heaven! Of course, mine get light, but that's only because they're next to other plants that require it. Bah. Anyway, I love the canna! I'm wanting a shenandoah canna that also has pink blooms, but I guess there's a virus traveling the world and infecting cannas left and right. I'm now scared to purchase any in case it might infect mine.

Eliza @ Appalachian Feet said...

Tomato flowers in December! Now I definitely need a greenhouse!