Friday, July 31, 2009

Some of the Hibiscus collection

I just purchased this "Hawaiian Hibiscus" from Hill Country African Violets & Nursery - Boerne, Texas. I have been drooling over this one for a long time. I never purchased one as they were being sold 5+ gallon pots and over 8 feet tall. I will have to make my greenhouse very tall to get him through the winter here.

I don't think the "Hawaiian" name is accurate as only a few species are actually native to Hawaii and this one does not show up on the lists I have found so far. Found some info on Dave's Garden tells me it is Hibiscus schizopetalus (split petals) aka Waltzing Ladies. Cool name.


Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) 'El Capitolio. Not certain if this applies to the red version since I can only find peach colored flowers with the information.

This guy is in our front yard (facing south) next to the house. Most winters it does well with only a blanket to cover it on really cold nights. The leaves are solid dark green -- the white variagated leaves are of a different hibiscus growing next to it. (photos to come).



This is the hibiscus I am currently stalking. Also at Hill Country African Violets but also in a huge pot and very tall... Hope they are propagating some.

No comments: