Old boat that I literally dug out of my friend's yard ("If you can get it out you can have it...") has been filled with one truck load of Rose Magic soil my sweetie and I got from the Natural Gardener in Austin. (We sell it by the bag at work but I needed 1-1/2 yards, much cheaper this way.)
Earlier this spring I planted Chandler (left) and Sequoia (right) strawberries and topped them off with pine needles. (Pine needles come in a bale at the Natural Gardener.) The pine needles will give off a little acidity for the soil and keep the strawberries cool during the summer.
The blue tag (middle of boat) is a "Sunshine Blue" blueberry and at the back of the boat is a "Oneal" Blueberry. Got both blueberries at Fannick Nursery in San Antonio. (Fannick has only the fruit trees and fruiting plants that will grow in this area. Old family owned nursery - a must see in San Antonio.) The "Sunshine Blue" was growing in a one gallon pot and the "Oneal" was only bare-root when I got them. I got quite a few berries off the "Sunshine Blue" but nothing from the "Oneal".
The Chandler strawberries are doing well now through the heat and have set off babies to fill in their part of the boat. The Sequoia are not as happy and I think this may be due to the fact they are on the very edge of the sprinkler I set up once a week.
All this being said I must report I am truly "the mechanic with the broken car". I really do not water or fertilize as much as I should. I am happy they are still alive and I always vow to do better.